Strategies for Open and Permanent Access to Scientific Information in Latin America: Focus on Health and Environmental Information for Sustainable Development
CODATA Workshop Biography
Vanderlei Perez Canhos, vcanhos at cria.org.br
Dr. Vanderlei Canhos has a BsC degree (1971) and MsC degree (1975) in Food Science from the State University of Campinas (UNICAMP), and a PhD degree from the Oregon State University (1980). He acted as assistant professor at the Food Science Department at UNICAMP from 1980 to 2001. For the last 20 years Dr. Canhos has been involved with the development of strategies and policies for the consolidation of biological collections and biodiversity databases in Brazil. He acted as scientific director of the Tropical Culture Collection (CCT) and Tropical Data Base (BDT) from 1985 to 2001. He is currently the President Director of the Brazilian Reference Center on Environmental Information and the team leader of a number of projects including the openModeller, a computational framework for environmental spatial modeling (http://openmodeller.sourceforge.net/) He is also currently involved with the feasibility study for the establishment of the Amazon Basin Information Facility - ABBIF, through a capacity building project involving biological collections and information centers from 9 Amazonian countries.
In the last 10 years, Dr Canhos has been involved with a number of biodiversity information initiatives, including:
He has acted as:
- The development of the speciesLink network (http://splink.cria.org.br/), an information system that allows the dynamic integration and visualization of primary specimen data.
- The development of an environmental information system (http://sinbiota.cria.org.br/) for the visualization of observation records, within the framework of the Virtual Institute of Biodiversity of the Biota. Fapesp. Program (1999-2002)
- The "Biodiversity Information Network - Brasil" for the Ministry of the Environment (1997-2001).
He is currently acting as:
- Member of the Task Force on Biological Resource Centers at the Organization for Economic Development and Cooperation - OECD (2001 - 2006)
- Member of the Steering Committee of the Program Biota-FAPESP The Virtual Institute of Biodiversity (1999 - 2006)
- Member of the Subcommittee on Capacity Building and Outreach (OCB) of the Global Biodiversity Information Facility, GBIF (2001 - 2003)
- Member of the Project Team of the Inter-American Biodiversity Information Network - IABIN (1999 - 2003)
- Former President of the Executive Board of the World Federation for Culture Collections - WFCC" (1996 - 2000)
- Former member of the Informal Advisory Committee of the Clearing-House Mechanism to the Convention on Biological Diversity (1998 - 2001)
- Member of the Subcommittee for Digitisation of Natural History Collection Data (DIGIT) of the Global Biodiversity Information Facility, GBIF (since 2003)
- Member of the Species 2000 Board of Directors (since March 2003)
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Expert Taxonomy Information - ETI, University of Amsterdam (since January 2000)
- The Global Alliance for Enhancing Access to and Application of Scientific Data in Developing Countries, of the United Nations Global Alliance for ICT and Development, UN G@ID
- U.S. National Committee for CODATA
- Brazilian National Committee for CODATA.
- CODATA Task Group on Preservation of and Access to Scientific and Technical Data in Developing Countries